THE CONTEST IS NOW LIVE. Here’s a quick Update on things:
There will be 20 mixes selected for the final round, an increase from the original plan of 10. Half of these will be chosen by Earmilk’s staff, the other ten being the most favorited, respectively. This route has been chosen to ensure that underground producers who don’t have as much “Public Sway” as larger artists still receive a fair chance, as well as helping ensure variety and quality to the results.
If you submitted a remix, now’s the time to start promoting it! You have seven days, then the results go in and the winners are announced. – Earmilk Staff
Attention aspiring producers, EARMILK is pleased to announce an opportunity that is sure to add some excitement to the humdrum of your daily activities. Attentive readers may recall that as we premiered our new website layout, EARMILK set a sort of “New Years Resolution”, vowing to provide its readers with a plethora of opportunities to win free goodies. Today’s contest sees Warner Bros. Records Inc, one of the the world’s most recognized and successful recording companies, team up with EARMILK to offer one hopeful producer an opportunity of a lifetime.
In anticipation of Kimbra’s forthcoming album Vows, EARMILK and Warner Bros. Records have decided to challenge all the bedroom-producers to put forward their best remix of Kimbra’s chart-topping single “Settle Down.” As compensation for your work, one lucky winner (Judged by Kimbra herself) will see their creation receive an official release on Warner Bros. Records UK, accompanied by a proper servicing campaign. For complete details, read on (or scroll down).
Kimbra Johnson, the New Zealand native better known simply as Kimbra, is gearing up for her US/UK debut,Vows, set to be released on May 22 through Warner Bros. Records. Vows has already received praise in New Zealand and Australia, scaling to the top 5 on the charts, becoming a Gold-Certified hit in the process. Already a household name in the US for her appearance on Gotye’s “Somebody I Used to Know,” Kimbra aims on enchanting American and English listeners with her soulful jazz-infused pop, reminiscent of times past and instilled with the quirky theatrics betoken of the alluring Kiwi.
To help stimulate some creativity and get the brain juices flowing, we also have an exclusive free remix EP featuring reworkings of Kimbra’s top songs. These up-and-coming Warner Bros. artists —Brenmar, Benjamin Damage, George Fitzgerald and Owsey— demonstrate the originality and vision needed to claim the top spot in the contest. George Fitzgerald stylishly combines the warmer, melodic sides of house and garage with the more heated, pounding drum patterns of dubstep and techno. Owsey has built up an enviable online following, collecting over half a million plays on his Soundcloud page and 200,000 YouTube views of his remix of Gotye’s Kimbra-featuring hit “Somebody That I Used To Know.” A Chicago native, Brenmar now resides in Brooklyn, but his tracks clearly demonstrate his Chi-Town love of hip-hop, R&B, house and juke. Lastly, Benjamin Damage’s track “Deeper” represents one of the first true “Deep Rave” sounds. He also has seen collaborations with Doc Daneeka incorprated into sets of mainstagers such as Modeselektor. For those not partaking in the contest, feel free to download the Remix EP simply to enjoy the music.
Don’t hesitate any longer, your future release on Warner Bros. UK won’t create itself. Available below are all the stems for “Settle Down” and contest details needed to produce your song.
Grab the stems for “Settle Down” HERE
- Submit remixes on EARMILK’s Kimbra Remix DropBox on SoundCloud by 12 PM ET on May 20th with the title “Kimbra Remix Contest.” Track must be set to
private and download enabledpublic with download disabled.
- We will
upload the tracks on[EDIT: We will place your submitted track into the contest set] on EARMILK’s SoundCloud at 12 AM ET on May 21st. Over the next week, ending at May 27th 12PM ET, promote your track.
- The remix must be original and cannot contain any materials not owned by the entrant (except for material from “Settle Down” stems).
Any remixes open to the public prior to submission will be disqualified.
- From May 21-27, promote your track. The top ten most favorites tracks chosen by the listeners, along with ten tracks chosen by EARMILK’s staff, will move onto the second round of judging. These 20 Finalists will be announced on May 28th. *NOTE: This is an update from the original projection of 10 finalists
- The second round of judging will consist of an EARMILK panel, along with Kimbra herself.
- Each submission will be listened to and judged on the bases of creativity, originality and overall production
- One winner will be selected and have their track featured on an official Warner Bros. Records UK release, accompanied by a proper servicing campaign.
- The winning track will also be published on EARMILK’s website.
- The winner will be notified on June 1st through an email addressed from EARMILK
- Winner will have 1 week to respond to email. Failure to respond in 1 week will constitute grounds for disqualification, in which case the 2nd place contestant will be notified.
Latest posts by Vinny Fiorentino (see all)
- NO CEREMONY/// – “FEELSOLOW” - October 19, 2012
- HAERTS – “Wings” - October 12, 2012
- The Knocks – “The Feeling” (Lazerdisk Party Sex Remix) [Premiere] - September 10, 2012
- Praything – Her Skin Caught The Glow [EP] - August 22, 2012